How Network Penetration Testing Can Boost Your Security
Cybersecurity entails the designed systems and practices that protect networks, devices, programs, and data from unauthorized access and attacks. An efficient cybersecurity plan is needed to prevent cyber-attacks that are on the rise. Network penetration testing is a major aspect when it comes to cybersecurity. Network penetration testing is identifying any exploitable vulnerabilities by intentionally attacking your network or system. A network penetration test is also referred to as a pen test.
How Can Network Penetration Testing Boost Your Security?
Our network penetration test seeks to uncover vulnerabilities in your network before an unauthorized user does so. The penetration test will involve simulated cyber-attacks and breaching of application systems like your servers. We use a set of automated tools to carry out our penetration tests. Most of these tools are open source; this enables us to modify them to perform specialized tests on your networks.
What Are Some of the Tools Used to Carry Out Penetration Testing?
- John the Ripper compiles different password crackers. It helps in determining different types of password hashes.
- Nmap looks for vulnerabilities linked to open ports after scanning the system and networks.
- Metasploit software is a collection of penetrating tools and is used to discover many vulnerabilities.
- Wireshark is a tool that profiles the traffic in a network. It analyzes the vulnerabilities associated with network traffic.
We Recommend Frequent Penetration Testing Based on the Following Criteria:
- Carry out annual penetration testing to keep track of the emerging vulnerabilities that keep arising.
- Perform testing whenever you make major updates to your applications and networks.
- If you add any new applications to your organization or if you improve the network infrastructure.
- Perform testing after you have applied security patches.
- Perform testing whenever you relocate your office or open a new branch.
What’s the Standard Procedure for Penetration Testing?
- Planning and conducting a survey. We determine the size of the test and gather information such as entry points into the network.
- Performing analysis of how the system works and runs.
- We gain access to the system through web application attacks such as SQL injections. After uncovering the vulnerabilities, we try to exploit them. The tester often chooses the easiest or critical vulnerabilities to exploit.
- We then maintain access to the system to see if the vulnerability can be exploited for a long period. Maintaining access helps us gauge how long your data may be exposed.
- Finally, we perform a full analysis and prepare a detailed report. The report highlights the discovered vulnerabilities, any sensitive data that was breached, and how long our tester was able to stay in the system.
Which Strategies Are Used in Performing a Penetration Test?
- Black Box Testing: This involves assuming the role of an actual hacker. The attack is performed externally and is a simulation of a real-world attack. Our tester does not receive any prior information on the network.
- Grey Box Testing: A tester enters the system using user credentials with various access rights. Grey box testing is used to eliminate all internal vulnerabilities.
- White Box Testing: The tester in this scenario is given all information on the network and system. This information includes the source code and the entire infrastructure of the network. This strategy is effective. It is also time-consuming due to a large amount of data being analyzed.
- Targeted Testing: Our team of professionals partners with your IT department and performs tests together. We compare notes and offer solutions.
- Blind Testing: It is similar to black-box testing, but we receive limited prior information like the company name.
- Double-Blind Testing: This test is similar to blind testing, but your cybersecurity personnel knows we are performing an attack. Double-blind testing measures your organization’s response rate to real external attacks.
What Benefits Do You Get by performing a Network Penetration Test?
Knowing that a penetration test has been carried out gives you peace of mind. A relaxed mind lets you focus on other areas of your organization.
- An elaborate penetration test will test your organization’s security policy and point out its weaknesses: Consequently, it will help you develop a risk analysis and mitigation strategies to prevent attacks in the future.
- The test will ensure you adhere to compliance requirements and laws: Being compliant will help you to avoid any non-compliance penalties that may arise. Other than that, it helps your organization maintain a reputable reputation by avoiding exposure of user data.
- We offer a full report after a network penetration test: A full report will help you formulate better cybersecurity strategies. The test will also help you re-evaluate your budget allocation to the security of your organization.
- Identifying the vulnerabilities in your networks: helps you apply the necessary patches.
- Penetration testing will give you a better understanding of the network baseline: This will help you identify the security measures that are working.
- The tighter security measures implemented will block data losses: any rogue employees who may want to access sensitive data may find it difficult to do so. Also, testing helps you avoid financial setbacks that arise from network downtime due to attacks.
Why Should Alvarez Technology Group Handle Your Network Penetration Test?
Our team of professionals is highly skilled in conducting comprehensive pen tests. Our experts offer an external perspective on how you could improve your security systems and help you identify solutions you might have overlooked. We can get the most out of the sophisticated penetration tools. Frequent penetration testing is recommended. We advise you when you need a penetration test based on several factors, such as relocation and emerging threats.
About Alvarez Technology Group
Alvarez Technology Group is a professional and reliable IT company. We maintain IT and security infrastructure for organizations across Salinas, California.
Services offered include:
- Managed IT services
- Network Penetration Testing
- Business Continuity
- HIPAA Compliance
Reach out to Alvarez Technology Group today to cater to your growing security needs by getting the most out of our Network Penetration Testing services.